Thursday, April 30, 2015

Money Dump on a Fuel Pump (Homeless for Two Days)

Vans that cost $1,300 definitely come with their fair share of $1,300 problems and fixes. First, it was replacing the tires. After the right rear tire flatted while the van was just sitting in my driveway, I had a choice to make. The old ones still had about 30% of their tread left, but with the flat tire and winter around the corner, biting the bullet and installing some "treadier" all-seasons seemed like the best way to spend a quick $800. Plus, when your house is riding on four wheels, you better make those four wheels pretty bomber.

So yeah, tires. I also spent over $1000 on materials and equipment for the interior living arrangements. There was the auxiliary battery, battery isolator, inverter, lights, wiring, tons of lumber and plywood, miscellaneous hardware, insulation, etc.

I also spent some money on an alarm system, parts to fix the door locks, power windows, and fuel access door. Needless to say, there's always some cost associated with doing anything new.

But what costs the most, is the price you pay for repairs and replacements due to parts that are beginning to fail. And older vehicles with lots of miles (cough, cough...Victor) tend to have an abundance parts in such a weary condition.

Three days ago, Victor began acting up on the highway. I'd be cruising along around 55 to 60 mph and suddenly it would feel as though I was running out of gas. The sputtering would continue until I accelerated. Stepping on the gas made the problem go away, but a couple minutes later, it would start happening again.

At first, sputtering at highway speeds was the only issue, but then two days ago, it began to happen when I took off from intersections.

What's scarier than stepping on the gas to cross a busy road with cars approaching from both directions, only to lose power in the middle of it? Not much. Well maybe flying snakes. But the mental images of getting double or even triple t-boned by oncoming traffic came to mind, giving me enough motivation to bring Victor to the shop the very next morning.

Not having a suitable driveway, garage, yard, or tool shed to get down and dirty with Victor on my own has been a bit of a drag. I'm usually a do-it-yourself-er, but life in the van restricts your ability to do too much of your own work; especially when your car knowledge is more on the "novice" side of the spectrum and far from that of "expert".

The other drawback from doing my own work would be if something did go wrong, I'd be very very very boned. My home and car would be stuck in place. And with fuel pump work requiring the act of dropping the gas tank, I wasn't going to risk running into trouble.

Today, the van is in the shop for the second day in a row. If all goes as planned (which it seldom does but my confidence is high with the gents working on Victor), I should be going to pick him up this afternoon. Getting Victor's wheel back under my fingers will be a relief no doubt. One, because I'll have my vehicle (and my freedom) back. But also because having your belongings in so many places is really getting to me. It is extremely stressful having so much of my stuff (most of which is crap and can probably do without for a day or two) spread out across the Everett area. I have belongings in the van, in the storage unit, at work, some necessities with me, and a mountain bike getting worked on at the bike shop (irrelevant really, but still!).

Last night, I wanted to grab my bike out of the storage unit but needed to figure out a way to get there. I ended up borrowing an awesome VW bus belonging to my friend Brad (who is also graciously letting me stay in his extra bedroom whilst I experience homelessness for two nights) and puttered the 4 miles south on 99 to get there. But then I remembered that my bike helmet, gloves, light, and lock were all in the van! Luckily my old helmet was in the storage unit, and I was able to borrow a bike lock from Nikko. Using work gloves instead of breathable biking ones, and forgoing a light (safe enough with longer daylight hours these days), I took my bike to work today to reclaim my freedom and mobility!

My hope is that a new fuel pump (which could be yours too for just $680!) will bring new life to Victor's spry attitude towards huffing long distances and crushing it over mountain passes. Because in less than three weeks, I am planning on driving him from Seattle to Iowa, where I will find some cheap storage space for him to wait for me while I vagabond my way to New Zealand and beyond.

As for the $680 dollars, I am chalking it up to peace of mind for when I do decide to make the voyage east, and also the cost of not paying any rent to have a place to do these sort of things yourself. Someday, I'll have a home with a garage and a sweet quiver of tools to tinker and troubleshoot problems on whatever van I'll own. But that day is not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment